“Acting on the Carlyle Commission report, the multicampus UNC system in 1965 expanded with the creation of a new campus at Charlotte; in 1969, the system incorporated senior public colleges at Asheville and Wilmington (which became UNC–Asheville and UNC–Wilmington). The expansion of public col- leges and universities continued outside of the University, and in the 1960s East Carolina College, which had been founded as a teacher’s college in 1907, tripled in size during the presidency of Leo M. Jenkins, from 1960 to 1978. Jenkins successfully made East Carolina into an independent university by legislative enactment in 1967. After a long campaign in the legislature, Jenkins succeeded in establishing a medical school at East Carolina, despite a turf fight and intense opposition from UNC supporters.
The rivalry between East Carolina and UNC culminated in the General Assembly’s session of 1972, in which it completely restructured higher edu- cation in the state.”